Guide to Riser Recliner Chairs
For many, a Riser Recliner Chair is a pure luxury. However, for those who find sitting down and standing up difficult, a Riser Recliner Chair can be an invaluable addition to the home. Not only will a Riser Recliner Chair help you find that optimum position for relaxation but it will also make sitting and standing up much easier.
With a Riser Recliner Chair, you’ll have the choice to sit, rise, fully recline or simply put your feet up in the comfort of your own home. In this blog, we’re going to help you understand the basics of Riser Recliner Chairs.
How does a Riser Recliner Chair work?
Most of these chairs work on the same principle. Attached to the chair is a remote control which is used to perform its specific functions. It is dependent on a mains outlet and will have either a single or dual motor that will gently and safely adjust the chair to your desired position.
When buying a Riser Recliner Chair, there are many options to choose from including Single Motor, Dual Motor, Tilt-in-space and Wallhuggers to name a few. The type that would suit your lifestyle will be dependent on your needs and the amount of space in your home. A good mobility professional will assess your needs and advise you on the best options.
Would a Riser Recliner Chair benefit me?
If you’re suffering from conditions such as Arthritis, backache or joint pain then a Riser Recliner Chair can offer you relief by finding a comfortable seating position. It can be very frustrating when you need assistance just to get up from a chair. That’s where a Riser Recliner Chair would come in extremely useful, as the “lift and tilt” function will increase your independence by allowing you to get in and out of the chair with minimal effort.
What positions can I relax in?
It all depends on the type of chair you choose, of course, but as a minimum a good quality Riser Recliner Chair should allow you to:
- Rise - This function will help you rise from a sitting position to your feet with a press of a button. It helps you get to your feet without putting pressure on your joints, and vice versa, so you can get up safely.
- Sitting – These chairs are ideal for sitting in for long periods of time. With the correct support and cushioning they are extremely comfortable.
- Feet up – With your feet up and the back section in the recline position, all the weight and strain is taken away from your feet and legs. This is an excellent position for reading or watching TV.
- Reclining – The fully recline action will help to alleviate any aches or pains. In this position, you can relax or take that well deserved nap.
Made to Measure VS Standard Chairs
When you walk into a mobility showroom you’ll probably be faced with a choice; “Would you like a ‘made to measure’ or a ‘standard chair?”
The great thing about ‘made to measure’ is that the chair will be made to compliment your exact measurements. However, the downside is that they cost more and may take some time to be delivered because they are made to order.
Another option is a standard chair. These are cheaper but it's unlikely to fit your measurements perfectly. A mobility professional will observe what your posture is like when sitting in a small, medium and large chair to see which one you’ll be most comfortable in.
As a guide, for optimum comfort, a Riser Recliner Chair should allow:
- Your feet to be flat on the floor
- Your legs to be at a 90-degree angle
- Arm rests should support arms below the elbow.
So, with a standard chair, it will be a case of choosing the size closest to your measurements.
Single Motor or Dual Motor?
A single motor will allow you to recline the backrest and the footrest at the same time. This means that as you recline, the footrest will automatically rise to support your legs – usually at a 45-degree angle.
A Dual Motor will allow you to operate the back and footrest independently from each other. This allows you to sit upright but still elevate your legs or fully recline.
What about the Aesthetics of my chair?
Whatever the existing décor of your home, Riser Recliner Chairs come in a whole range of colours, styles and fabrics. You’ll be sure to find something that blends in with your living space so you can sit, tilt, rise and recline while watching your favourite TV show in complete comfort.
At our Cavendish Health Care showroom, we stock a wide range of Riser Recliner Chairs. We also recommend that you try any chair before you buy it. Please call us on 02392 255600 for more information.
- Care Chairs
- Comfort cushions
- Doge Riser/Recliner Chairs
- Fitform armchairs: healthy sitting through real customisation
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Riser Recliner Chairs
- Furniture Raisers
- Guide to Riser Recliner Back Styles
- Household mobility solutions
- How to sit comfortably and healthily in your own electric Rise and Recliner Chair
- Motor Actions Explained
- Recliner Chairs Measuring Guide
- Riser Recliner Chairs for Pure Relaxation
- Seating & Posturing
- Seating Cushions
- The importance of seating posture